Assignments - Using Kaltura to upload a Video or Audio File
- Kaltura is a private video/audio server similar to YouTube, located at the University of British Columbia.
- Videos and audio files uploaded to this server will only be accessible to specific people.
- If you use the Kaltura Assignment to upload a video or audio file, then only your instructor will have access to that media.
- If you upload a video or audio file to a Discussion Forum, then your instructor and classmates will have access to that media.
IMPORTANT: When creating a video or audio file for upload to the internet, set your quality at medium-low, about 30%. Highest quality makes HUGE files, slow upload/download, and doesn't improve the end users viewing significantly.
To find out how to upload and submit your assignment, watch this video or scroll down and follow the step-by-step directions provided.
- To begin, find your assignment, it will have an icon that looks like this:
- The assignment will have dates indicating when it is available for you to submit your video/audio file and directions for completing the assignment (see image below).
- Read the directions carefully
- Create your video/audio file using a digital camera, smartphone, digital recorder, webcam, etc. and save your file somewhere where you can retrieve it - computer or USB stick are best.
- Open up the assignment link in your course website and click the Add Media Submission button.
- This will take you to your MediaSpace. If the internet browser (Internet Explorer/Edge, FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) you are using blocks this page, try an alternate browser.
- Click the Add New button and select Media Upload from the drop-down menu:
- Click the Choose a File to Upload button. Keep in mind, your file must be under 2 GB. For a list of acceptable file formats, check here
- Find your file and click Open to begin the upload process
- The Upload Media window will display a progress bar and ask for some details to identify your video/audio file; please make sure you fill in this form with the information identified as being required.
- Once the upload is completed and you have filled in and saved the form content, you will see a green bar across the top of the page with the words "Your changes have been saved".
- Go to the bottom left of the page an click the Back link
- You will be returned to the MediaSpace window and your video/audio file should be at the top of the list; if it is not, use the Search Media to find the file.
- Click the Select button to upload the video/audio into your assignment
- Your video/audio will display in the middle of the page
- Click the Submit Media button to finish your assignment submission.
If you encounter any problems or need help with this process, please contact the COTROnline Help Desk:
- 250-489-2751 local 3737
- 1-877-489-2687 local 3737 Toll Free North America
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.